Skip to content Back to Top

Veteran Services FAQ

  1. How can I obtain a copy of my DD214?
  2. What services do you provide for veterans?
    • We provide a wide variety of services all geared towards helping veterans obtain employment. Services include career counseling, assessments, labor market information, resume assistance, interviewing techniques, priority job referrals, job development, and job search workshops.
  3. Why should I use a job center?
    • Job center staff are trained professionals who help job seekers obtain sustainable employment. They are connected with employers and can provide local expertise on how to best proceed through the job-search process.
  4. Where is my closest job center?
  5. What are typical barriers to employment for veterans?
    • The most common barrier is in translating military skills to a civilian resume. Many veterans include military jargon and acronyms in their resumes, which confuses hiring managers. If a hiring manager doesn’t understand a resume, he/she simply throws it away. There is good news though; job center staff are trained to help veterans translate military skills to a civilian resume in a way that connects with hiring managers!
    • Other barriers include periods of unemployment, incarceration, homelessness, disabilities, lack of necessary skills/training, and simply not knowing where to start in the job-search process.

Additional training

  1. How do I get the process started for requesting additional training or education that I may need in order to compete for a job?

Government employment

  1. If I want to work for the state or federal government, can I buy back any, some, or all of my military time and what is the maximum amount of time (calculated into years) that I can apply toward my retirement?
  1. How do I apply for federal employment and what veteran preference(s) am I entitled to:
    • Veterans can apply for Federal employment by accessing
    • Although veterans are afforded preference for federal employment, all veteran applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for each opening. For more information pertaining to veteran preference visit:

VA benefits

  1. Who do I talk to if I want to convert my Montgomery GI Bill benefits to the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits, and how much time will I lose (if any) if/when I do this?
    • For questions regarding GI Bill benefits, please contact the Veterans Administration. You can reach them by phone at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).
  2. Who is eligible to use a Vet Center?
    • Eligible veterans include those who served on active duty in direct support of or in a combat theater during:
      • World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Gulf War, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq.
    • Or veterans who have experienced sexual assault/harassment during any period of service.
    • For more information on Vet Centers, please visit
  3. How do I contact the VA?
  4. How do I apply for VA benefits such as the GI Bill and disability compensation?
  5. What is a VA Tribal Veterans Representative?
    • Tribal Veterans Representative (TVR) Outreach Workers function as liaisons between Veterans, the VA, and other state and local community organizations. They are appointed and supported by Tribal governments but formally trained by the VA. Made up primarily of volunteers, TVRs work closely with all agencies in the community to help veterans obtain needed information and assistance on completing paperwork for healthcare enrollment, claims benefits, education benefits, and home loan benefits. For more information, please visit

Please contact your nearest job center for other questions.